Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Zoo in January?

YES! We had such a great time! It may have been my best time at the zoo ever for several reasons:

1) It was free! The last wednesday of every winter month November - February is an appreciation day so everyone gets in free 9am-4pm. Sweet

2) The weather really was nice. I anticipated cold and packed for it, but didn't end up needing the final layers till the kids started playing in the snow. Nobody ever complained about being cold or tired. There was some very light snow occasionally, but no wind and the walkways weren't snow packed or icy.

3) There were very few people there. We may have seen 100 people the whole day we were there. It was so nice to not have a child step 5 feet away from me and they're already lost because of the big crowds. Mckayla could wander away a bit and still be in sight. Having it so quiet was also really nice because I didn't feel like we needed to move on or were crowded at the exibits. Most of the time we were alone in the buildings which allowed me to bring the trailer in with me and take time to tell the kids about each animal.

4) The kids were so well behaved and had such a great time. They were so excited to see and learn about everything. Kaitlyn was really patient and happy too which is a big deal, and she stayed nice and toasty in our trusty Chariot. I had such a good time as a mom. I'm so grateful and lucky to have the opportunity to have this time and these experiences with them.


I love this picture because Talmage is thrilled to have found a "crackidackle" and Mckayla is a little fearful of it :)


Mckayla met a little bird


Click on this pic - too cute!

We didn't get to see every animal (elephants for instance weren't out), and I was fairly surprised to see zebra's out in the snow



Talm was waving to this peacock. Last time we were at the zoo several years ago Mckayla tried to follow a peacock until it turned around and walked after her - yeah, she ran screaming...

We did have a great time. I have however affirmed my discomfort with zoo's. You know I guess they're great for animals that are being poached or extremely endangered, but I really hate to see animals in captivity. I love that my kids can learn about them, but I hate that they live in a cage basically. Habitat schmabitat, something the size of my living room is not where a wild animal should live in my opinion.


4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ohhh, I miss you guys :( Remember last time we went to the zoo you were pregnant with Mckayla!

Derek and Jamie said...

That looks like so much fun! Hopefully you guys can get out here and we'll go to the Bronx Zoo, it is supposed to be amazing! We are waiting for a free day to go too. We're glad you guys are having so much fun.

Celeste said...

I'll have to remember that about the free Wed. Looks like you all had a great time even if the zoo did have lots of snow.

Meesh said...

I had no idea the zoo was free the last day of the winter months. Great tip, Les! Your pictures were great. I'm with you, "Habitat Schmabitat!"