Saturday, September 13, 2008

"All is well, all is well"



My Grandma Ann's funeral was today. It was a lovely service with a simple lighthearted feeling to it, much like my Grandma. My sister set up a wonderful arrangement of pictures at the viewing from her life. Some great stories from her childhood were shared by her sister Linda. My Grandma was in a family of 5 girls (and ironically raised 5 boys) and her sister said one night the girls were up giggling. Their father told them they'd be in trouble if he had to come in again, so my Grandma set up jacks in the dark hallway so they'd hear him coming next time. She also wanted badly to go to President Grant's funeral service when she was in high school. After talking her dad into taking them they were a bit late. Well they ended up sitting on the stand for the services. Linda also shared how again when the girls were in high school they had their first evening dance. My Grandma raised the money to buy her sister, not herself, a new dress for it. Linda said it is still the most beautiful dress she's owned.

My Grandma's eldest son Steven shared some neat memories from her time raising them as well. She was notorious for keeping the house warm. If there was a baby around it never dipped beow 85. Her boys would leave the house bundled in long sleeves and coats and one son would walk to school with his coat unzipped and shirt unbuttoned just to cool down. A cousin of mine who has a 5 month old baby is living with them. The cousin had layed her baby on a blanket in the living room by the screen door. Grandma called her sister to ask if she thought the baby would catch cold. Her sister assured Grandma the baby would be fine as it was 93 degrees outside. :-) She taught her boys hard work and love for their family.

I had a few other touching experiences this week leading up to the funeral. My Grandparents have had this macaw (big blue and yellow jungle bird) for the last 25 years that my Dad gave them when he owned a pet store. Well that bird doesn't like anyone but my Grandma, and sometimes my Grandpa and Dad, but other than that he squaks his head off if anyone else is in the house (within view or not). Well tuesday, the day my Grandma died he didn't make a sound all day and there were a ton of people in and out of the house. The only sound he made all day their Bishop heard. The bird (who could talk) was crying like a baby. Then 2 days later, thursday, he died. These birds live to be 80 years old, and he was only 30 and was in fine health before that. It's so interesting how the spirit works. What a special blessing we have to have that spirit with us.
I also had the opportunity to do a music number at the funeral with my cousin Ashley. I played the flute and she played the piano. I got my flute out about 6 months ago, and not since high school before that. When I got it out last winter I couldn't remember any of the fingerings at all, so it didn't even dawn on me to use it for the funeral. Well wednesday I just decided to get it out, looked up the first fingering, and took off playing like normal after that. I'd been practicing all week long, and think my Grandma was with with me during that time as she was a very musical person. I found the experience again very touching to note how the spirit works.

I'm so glad to have had my Grandma as long as I have. I don't remember any of my great-grandparents, and I hope Mckayla will. Grandma was a wonderful person who will certainly be missed. I hope and pray that my Grandpa, Dad and uncles with be comforted at this time and know that all is well. I know that if we live according to the commandments of the Lord and keep our covenants, covenants which started 56 years ago when my Grandparents were married, we'll see her again and be together forever as a family.




There is a card at the bottom of this frame my Grandpa wrote to my Grandma with his love on their anniversary. It was very touching.



My beauties



and the sweet innocence of youth.



Families can be together forever!

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

What a nice tribute to your Grandma. I'm glad it went well.

Celeste said...

so sad... yet so wonderful that she was able to live such a long and happy life. She sounds like a neat lady. ... I know how hard it is to loose a grandparent... I'm so sorry for your lose.

Ann said...

I'm glad everything went well for the funeral. She does sound like such a sweet Grandma. You're so lucky to have her! Aren't we so greatful for the gospel, and the knowledge that we will be with our families forever? I don't know how i'd cope without it!