This last weekend we went up Payson Canyon to Maple Bench campground. We'd never been up there, hadn't even seen the road to it off the main road before. It's a mile long, very steep and narrow but thankfully paved climb up to the first little campground loop that has tables, but very little space. We headed farther up the road and there were maybe 10 sites in 1/2 mile, so very spread out. We found one at the top which plenty of space, and right next to several trails. Bathroom close. $10/night. Perfect.
Jer got about to setting camp up as I took kids to the bathroom. As I was walking back he greeted me with "Life's all about adventure honey". Yeah, you know what that means. I asked him what he did and found that we'd forgotten the tent poles. Nice! It was a warm weekend, but not warm enough to sleep under the stars with 3 kids. Didn't want to head home since I had a race 20 minutes away the next morning, so off to the store I went to get some rope and a knife and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with our ingenuity. Sure it was smaller than we were used to, in height mostly, but man did we stay warm. That was great.
We took the kids on a short hike and down to the cute little lake Friday night, then did the traditional smores before bed. I can't believe how big Kaitlyn is getting holding her little hands over the fire to warm them just like brother and sister. We all slept well that night and were up bright and early for my race. It was so nice waking up at 5:30am to daylight and birds singing loudly in the trees! Since having Kaitlyn we've had to get a little creative with our trailer arrangements. Can you find Mckayla?
She was fine in there like that by the way. I believe it was her request as she wasn't ready to fully wake up at 6:45am. The race venue at the Salem pond is so great. Dad and the kids had breakfast at one of the picnic tables at the park, the kids had a playground to play on, and there's lots of grass and shade, and just from that location alone you can see a racer 4-5 times. It was so fun to have them there. The race even had a helicopter fly over before the race - I assume Talm loved it!
The race went great thanks to my awesome cheering squad. Jer hauled them with his bike all over the course and it's great to have him to keep my informed on how I'm doing. I raced so hard that I didn't get as much chance to smile at and yell for the kids, but I did take 2nd woman overall, so that was fun :)
These guys are such troopers. It was such a warm warm humid day out, and the AC in our car went out, but there weren't too many complaints.
And speaking of troopers....would you look at this handsome man?! This about a 100lb load he's pulling behind him, and most of the time, without me. I don't ask them to come to many races anymore, but I'm so glad they were at this one!
We went back to the campground and the kids and I had lunch, walked around the lake, and played around camp while Dad went on a run (this time only an hour, no search and rescue needed). I love listening to the kids play. At one point we were all cast in a PBS kids show they love. I believe this is Mckayla working on the script.
We got packed up and headed home. A short little camping trip, but good. Definitely a place I'd like to visit again. I love places like that that are lush green and quiet. Jer rode his bike the 27 miles to Provo (so proud of him!) while the kids and I had the chance to stop at the beautiful cemetery in Springville my Grandma is buried at. Oh how I miss her. It was really nice to see all the flowers there for her. We left her some with a little note with our love.
Great weekend, great quality time as a family.
I love my little crew!
I love my little crew!


3 comments:
Sounds like some fun campouts and races. I still very much remember our 1st camp out as a married couple was with you guys! We were both prego and sick, but it was tons of fun. We are very impressed with all of Jer's run/biking-- Leslie looks like you are rubbing off on him!
Wow, that tent was amazing! Good job, we know where those kids get that creativity from. Wish we could be there to go camping with you guys some time. The kids are so cute and looking so big! We miss you guys!
What a fun weekend. Way to go on your race!
Post a Comment