Sunday, May 24, 2009

A fun evening in the canyon

(No I am NOT pregnant, the picture is just unflattering)
So the kids have been dying to go camping again since we went to Moab, but we're not Memorial day campers, too busy. But friday afternoon we headed up Big Cottonwood. We had a hamburger/hotdog picnic in the parking lot of the S curves (and got a warning from the Sheriff, apparently there are no fires within 1/2 mile of the road unless in a fire pit, and our charcoal grill didn't count, whoops. There technically were only flames for a minute while the charcoal was lit though).
Post dinner marshmellows enjoyed by all :)
Then we headed out on a hike on the The kids did well. Mckayla's a great hiker and was very reluctant to turn around before the top (that was probably twice as far as we were). Talmy does ok....He's kind of a slow poke, or maybe he's just enjoying the view :) He does enjoy marching and saying "gitty up 2, 3..gitty up 2, 3" from the elephants in Jungle Book. It's very cute. Not sure what's up with the color on the video, but Talm's doing his little marching arms. I thought he was singing too but I guess not, I'll get it next time.

And miss Kaitlyn did great in the backpack. It's nice to be out of the baby phase so she can be a good little hiker for us.
The water was so incredibly powerful. My gosh, it was high, fast, and furious! I was a nervous wreck at times not letting the kids get anywhere remotely close to the water. It was a wonder to see, but definately worrysome with little ones. I hope everyone stays safe this weekend.

We walked across the S curves where there's a little waterfall. The kids built little boats to float in the little pool of water behind them. Cuties.

Despite the fast water, Jer played acrobat walking the 20ft across this log to get a good pic of the waterfall in the next pic. This picture though, is us giving the thumbs up for him not falling in :)

He didn't fall in, so I'd say the pic was worth it.

Bring on Summer!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

looks like a fun little campout. it's fun when the kids get old enough to really enjoy it.

Stephanie said...

Cute pictures! I like the family one. I sure miss those little cuties!

*Aliese* said...

Way nice pictures! I, too, am so excited summer's here.

Ann said...

Cute pictures! We always avoid Memorial Day camping too, WAY too busy!